VAT in Switzerland
VAT registration in Switzerland is now possible with RMB. The swiss market is a great opportunity for companies active in the B to C industry. Switzerland is high potential market and Swiss customers are very keen on European products.
However the main issue that e-sellers have to deal with is customs and Swiss VAT. Because Switzerland is not part of the European Union, products shipped from Europe to Switzerland have to be customs cleared at the entry of the country. Swiss import duties and import VAT therefore have to be paid to the customs.
Without applying for a VAT registration in Switzerland, customs duties and VAT are charged directly to the clients through the Swiss Post or transports companies. No need to say that final clients do not appreciate to pay these extra charges when receiving the products they ordered.
RM Boulanger is a fully independent company. We are not part of any big law firm or accounting company. We have always focused on VAT as we know this matter can be a significant concern for businesses having European cross border transactions.
RM Boulanger provides practical solutions to businesses that most of the time have complicated cases. Being independent moreover enables us to propose adapted and fair prices to our clients.
Requirements for applying for Swiss VAT registration number
Formal conditions are required to apply for a VAT registration in Switzerland :
- Your company needs to have an EORI number. The EORI number is a customs identification number authorising European companies to export or import goods to or from Europe.
Your company already has an EORI number if you already have had import or export operations. RMB can help your company to apply for this identification number is necessary.
- Your sales invoices have to respect the Swiss invoicing requirements. Even if these requirements are very similar to other bordering countries, your invoices will namely have to show the Swiss VAT number attributed to your company.
- You will have to provide RMB with the documents required by the Swiss Tax Authorities to apply for a Swiss VAT number.
With RMB, applying for a VAT registration in Switzerland is very easy as we will guide you through all the necessary steps.
VAT rates in Switzerland
1. Standard VAT rate
The Swiss standard VAT rate is 8%
2. Reduced VAT rate
Swiss customers can benefit from 2 reduced VAT rates applying as follows :
- 3,8% applying for accommodation services
- 2,5% applying fo r:
- Agricultural and medical products,
- Newspapers, books and magazines.
VAT registration process
The VAT registration process in Switzerland usually takes from 6 to 8 weeks if the documents and information required by the Swiss Tax Authorities are all complete and accepted. In case the Swiss Tax Administration had questions or needed some additional information about your company, RMB will answer their questions for you.
Once your VAT registration number in Switzerland is granted by the Swiss Tax Authorities, you can start using it immediately.